We have recieved 86% of our goal ..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ISTA Connection Difficulty F20 M135i/ENET cable
I am struggling to get ISTA to communicate with my Feb.2014 F20 M135i.

The ISTA Connection Manager lists the car with the correct Device ID, VIN and IP address (169.254.40.44).  When I highlight the entry and click 'Set up connection' at the bottom, the Connection Manager window disappears and I am thrown back to the read Out Vehicle Data tab.

I am using ISTA+ v4.39.20 from IR655's Mega download link, on a Windows 10 laptop with an ENET cable.
Some communication is clearly taking place because the VIN and IP address are being recognised.

Do I need to put the car in Diagnostic mode?  If so, how?  I have tried with ignition off, ignition on, ignition on and engine running all with the same result.  Pressing START/STOP three times quickly from ignition off does not help.  I read a suggestion to turn off the Control Display but this does not seem possible through the i-Drive - the only option is to make it a bit dimmer.

Under ISTA's 'Vehicle Interface' tab I have selected dealer Organisation LAN, Ethernet as preferred connection and Search Broadcast as 255.255.255.255.  Following a hint from another forum I changed BMW.Rheingold.OnlineMode in the registry from False to True, but this made no difference.

Any hints or suggestions please?  All I am trying to do is fit a second-hand VDC module to replace the original which was damaged by rainwater.  Many thanks in advance.
You only need to turn ignition on or engine running to connect
Have you installed all the ista requirements like Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable also try reinstalling it. Sometimes it might be some network issue with ENET.
I have tried with ignition off and on, engine running and not running.
I have Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 (ISTA says it expects 2015 - 2019) and I have tried reinstalling ISTA. Maybe I could try updating my C++ then re-installing ISTA.
Can you offer some hints as to possible network issues? I have given my laptop a fixed address of 169.254.1.1, subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and tried with and without Gateway and DNS addresses of 169.254.0.1. The ENET is at least partly working because ISTA is detecting my VIN.
Have you tried leaving the ipv4 address to automatic ?