We have recieved 85% of our goal ..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F20 pre-LCI ICAM retrofit with NBT EVO
Hi Everybody,

today i wanna share my resent retrofit with you.
Since i´m always looking for new retrofits i can do to my F20 pre-LCI, this time i wanted to add an rear view camera. Most people would tell me to check wich camerasystem my car expects with 3AG added to VO. Since i´m owning and old F20, it expects an TRSVC wich would be neccessery if i still had the CIC installed. Sadly the TRSVC ECU, CAM and wiring loom would cost me around 400€ used.
Because i already retrofitted an NBT Evo from an 2018 G11, there now are more options to use.

In my case, i chose to add an ICAM camera since this one has the controller integrated and so only needs some extra wires. The hard part was to find a suitable camera. After some research, i found the ICAM of an X5 F15 <11/2015 as suitable. This one works with FBAS and CAN3 on FEM. Additionaly you only need an BMW Evo retrofit wiring loom for X1/5/7 G/F Series ICAM2. Both together costed me around 170€ incl. shipping.

Since there are no housings for ICAM cameras to build into the F20 rear bumper, i had to create my own with a 3d printer from ABS. i added an Matching opening between the lincense plate lights and fixed the housing+camera there.
I put the cable through an plug that was already existing under the rear light on the driver side.

The red power wire was connected to fuse F154 (5A) in the rear fuse box since, this is meant to be used with camera.
the yellow/brown (CAN3_High) and yellow/red (CAN3_LOW) are connected to CAN2 of FEM. I can´t tell exactly why but CAN3 devices also work on CAN2 CAN3 and CAN2 use the same Baudrate and same messages. CAN3 ecus will read CAN2 messages and vice versa. ESYS and ISTA however won´t show ECUs that arent supposed to be on other bus lines. No ICAM/TRSVC entry in CAN2 table from F20 so no ICAM/TRSVC shown in ESYS/ISTA even if it´s connected and working.
the FBAS wires are directly connected to the HU Quadlock. Green on 21, black on 23 and white on 24.

now the coding part.
at first you might get confused, since e-sys won´t show the ICAM camera. Because of the gateway table, you won´t see the CAN3 device since it is not supposed to be connected to CAN2. 
Like written above, you won´t be seeing the ICAM and so can´t code it but you can continue coding the rest. Create an VO with 3AG added and code HU_NBTevo and REM. Then just FDL code camerasystem from TRSVC to ICAM_rfk in HU_NBTevo
and that´s it. Now you should have an working ICAM on your retrofitted NBT Evo system

Edit: Update 10-02-2021 -> Proper Coding
After using this setup for a while, i got annoyed by the guiding lines. I have been driving without lines most of the time, because i am just used to park with mirrors instead. My family however prefer the guiding lines.
Somehow the camera coding "got lost" with the retrofit. Guess this happend because the donor car was an F39 and my car is an F20 both with different VIN. With the missing CAFD, on every ignition start the ICAM set itself to "default coding" but since there is no default coding for F20, it just chose an random model. So every time i used the cam with guiding lines, those linse looked differend. Sometimes small, sometimes thicker, sometimes disaligned and sometimes the turning cicle wouldn´t match.

After some research i found bill57p´s (Bimmerfest.com) retrofit guide for the F56. i rebuild this gateway, modified the code and adapted it to my F20. ISTA/Esys showed the icam but ESYS couldn´t detect an CAFD for SWFL 1EE1_017_002_000. This is the shipping swfl and no PsDZ package contains an fitting CAFD file. I tried deploying one of the available CAFDs (017_004_000) but those got rejected half way.
So i had to update the ICAM to the latest ilevel with matching CAFD File. I learned the hard way, that this gateway is not suitable for flashing in my case. the flash will fail and set the car to transportmode. you´ll have to reset everything with ISTA in that case. wasted time...

last option. Flashing with an ZGW which has CAN3. i bought an used ZGW 8SK for around 50€, Placed an Arduino with an CAN shild and voltage regulator for the wakeup and the Ethernet activator inside the ZGW hosuing. Also an ethernetcable got hardwired into the housing.
Connecting the ZGW to 12V will automatically start it and activate ethernet communication. Connected power to my car battery and CAN3 with ICAM. Esys showed ZGW and ICAM2. Now i only had to flash latest ilevel with CAFD. Created an VO from donor car (F39) and my VIN and flashed ICAM.
for an F20 you should use an F39 VO because the F39 is what comes closest to an F20 in size and camera position. Otherwise lines and camera angle wouldn´t match.
After flashing i only had to make some minor changes. Screensize had to be changed to widescreen in ICAM CAFD and calibration startet via Tool32. Lastly deleted all DTC and my ICAM retrofit was finaly finished.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Great post Tuerkay !
Thanks for sharing with us.
Password to all uploads is bimmerscene.com
(09-28-2020, 11:33 PM)Tuerkay Wrote: Hi Everybody,

today i wanna share my resent retrofit with you.
Since i´m always looking for new retrofits i can do to my F20 pre-LCI, this time i wanted to add an rear view camera. Most people would tell me to check wich camerasystem my car expects with 3AG added to VO. Since i´m owning and old F20, it expects an TRSVC wich would be neccessery if i still had the CIC installed. Sadly the TRSVC ECU, CAM and wiring loom would cost me around 400€ used.
Because i already retrofitted an NBT Evo from an 2018 G11, there now are more options to use.

In my case, i chose to add an ICAM camera since this one has the controller integrated and so only needs some extra wires. The hard part was to find a suitable camera. After some research, i found the ICAM of an X5 F15 <11/2015 as suitable. This one works with FBAS and CAN3 on FEM. Additionaly you only need an BMW Evo retrofit wiring loom for X1/5/7 G/F Series ICAM2. Both together costed me around 170€ incl. shipping.

Since there are no housings for ICAM cameras to build into the F20 rear bumper, i had to create my own with a 3d printer from ABS. i added an Matching opening between the lincense plate lights and fixed the housing+camera there.
I put the cable through an plug that was already existing under the rear light on the driver side.

The red power wire was connected to fuse F154 (5A) in the rear fuse box since, this is meant to be used with camera.
the yellow/brown (CAN3_High) and yellow/red (CAN3_LOW) are connected to CAN2 of FEM. I can´t tell exactly why but CAN3 devices also work on CAN2
the FBAS wires are directly connected to the HU Quadlock. Green on 21, black on 23 and white on 24.

now the coding part.
at first you might get confused, since e-sys won´t show the ICAM camera. Because of the gateway table, you won´t see the CAN3 device since it is not supposed to be connected to CAN2. So just continue coding without thinking to much. Create an VO with 3AG added and code HU_NBTevo and REM. Then just FDL code camerasystem from TRSVC to ICAM_rfk in HU_NBTevo
and that´s it. Now you should have an working ICAM on your retrofitted NBT Evo system
Hi! First of all thanks for the info, second, can you specify wich pins do yo used as looking at FEM pinout there are diferents CAN2 pins on FEM like  A173*2B 20 and 21, A173*8B 49 and 50, A173*10B 10 and 11
Thanks in advance!!
Since all CAN2 Pairs are bridged (either internal in FEM or external on connector X72) it doesn´t matter where you connect it. I used the CAN2 connector from my COMBOX which is connected to 10/11
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Tuerkay for this post:
  • Dengus
Hi, I have a f30 2018 NBT EVO with 3AG OEM and ICAM2 camera, I would like to install a 5DL TRSVC ECU kit, is this downgrade possible?
(10-08-2021, 06:31 PM)wesleyredhat Wrote: Hi, I have a f30 2018 NBT EVO with 3AG OEM and ICAM2 camera, I would like to install a 5DL TRSVC ECU kit, is this downgrade possible?

sure. as long as you buy the right kit (k-can1) it will work
(10-08-2021, 07:17 PM)Tuerkay Wrote:
(10-08-2021, 06:31 PM)wesleyredhat Wrote: Hi, I have a f30 2018 NBT EVO with 3AG OEM and ICAM2 camera, I would like to install a 5DL TRSVC ECU kit, is this downgrade possible?

sure. as long as you buy the right kit (k-can1) it will work

yes I have the complete kit of an F80 M3

New Kit TRSVC donate F80 2015-->
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VB76Wgw...sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fgmp-YZ...sp=sharing

My CAN Reverse F30 2018-->
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17ItIw9p...sp=sharing

It would have the connection diagram of the 5DL TRSVC ECU ?

Tks
You can´t use your current ICAM reverse with that TRSVC ECU. You need another camera module and cable that works with TRSVC ECU
(10-08-2021, 09:08 PM)Tuerkay Wrote: You can´t use your current ICAM reverse with that TRSVC ECU. You need another camera module and cable that works with TRSVC ECU

yes I have the cables and module complete, see the photo on the link. my question is how to disable my ICAM2, would just replace the reverse camera with the HSD cable model. do I need to disable something in FEM referring to ICAM2? thanks
Icam2 will be automatically changed to trsvc in svt if connected and VO coded properly.
Remove 3AG and add 5DL. VO code HU/FEM/REM/TRSVC