We have recieved 86% of our goal ..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New steering wheel (LDW and heating problem)
Hello everyone, 

I'm new to this amazing community. I've been reading for a while. 

Now, I'm facing a problem that I hope you can help me resolve. 

I have a 2016 BMW F30 330e with the M package, and last week my steering wheel was stolen. 
It was an M package steering wheel with a vibrator for LDW (Lane Departure Warning) and adaptive cruise control buttons for setting the following distance. I managed to get a similar M steering wheel, which also has a heater function. 

My vehicle doesn't come equipped with a heated steering wheel, and when I reach speeds of 70 km/h (when LDW runs), the car gives me an error in the LDW system and deactivates it. 

I understand that the main issue is that my old steering wheel had a vibrator module without heating, which is different from the current module that has two outputs, one for the vibrator and another for heating. I don't want to add heating to the steering wheel; I just want to see if there's a way to tell the vehicle through ESYS coding (I have ENET cable) that it's the module with the vibrator and heating but disable the heating function to prevent errors since I don't have the button to activate or deactivate it. 

What I'm interested in is being able to activate LDW as I had it in the previous setup. 

By the way, the new steering wheel doesn't have the buttons for setting the distance with the front vehicle, but that doesn't seem to cause an error. The vibrator works because I managed to test it with ISTA. 

Thank you very much!
What error do you have? Have you tried coding off the heating funtion?
Have some news:

To remove the steering wheel heater coding, do I need to use ESYS, right? What code should I remove, and in which control unit? Can I do it with ISTA? I have ESYS and ISTA. (I suppose that I can code with ESYS I need to remove VO Code 248 in the modules KOMBI, HU_CIC/NBT, and FEM)

I found these codes that add the heating; I understand that I would have to deactivate everything related to heating (LHZ), and the variant shouldn't have to be changed because I haven't changed my SZL, and I doubt it supports heating. I'm not sure about it
FEM_BODY
3140 PFLinSteeringWheel
CODDT_BYTE_00_SZL_LIN = LHZ_aktiv
LIN_VARIANTE_LRE = lre_tlc_lhz
LIN_VARIANTE_SZL = szl_4Band
LRE_Verbaut = aktiv

Anyway, as you can see in the screenshots, it gives me a short circuit error on the vibrator, but I don't know if it's a real error or if it conflicts with the new steering wheel module. I understand that the module is automatically recognized, but then you can enable or disable the heater function. I assume it would be absurd for the vibrator not to work if you have the heating coded but not complete. If the heating is decoded, it leads to the idea that it shouldn't give an error that it doesn't recognize the button, and the vibrator should work. I understand that the next step is to decode the heating and test if I still have the same vibrator error.

I can no longer test the steering wheel vibrator.
It seems that it correctly recognizes that I have a steering wheel with a heating and vibrating module because it can't find the steering wheel heating button.

However, the curious thing is that it now says the vibrator is short-circuited.
When this happens, is it because the vibrator or wiring is actually faulty, or is the new module not being recognized correctly?

Is it curious: "The vibration actuator is installed depending on the motorisation series. If the vibrator actuator is not installed, the EPS generates de vibration"
From what I understand, in the F30 model, it would only vibrate through the steering wheel vibrator, and if I uninstall the vibration module, the EPS would not activate (it would be ideal, but not hehe)

Could it also be because my SZL doesn't support the vibrator and heater module on the steering wheel and is only compatible with the regular vibrator module? But the strange thing is that the engine did vibrate in the first test I drove the vehicle at 70 km/h. On the fourth try, the fault appeared, and it only worked one more time through ISTA. Now I can't get it to work.

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I have deleted the 248 from all the control units, and the error remains the same. I'm not sure if it was active in any, but now it no longer gives the error of missing the heating button.

Now I'm starting to think that the vibration motor is actually faulty??

However, the error message states that the vibration motor is faulty, not that the module is faulty, so I understand that it's the steering wheel module that's generating the error, and the module is compatible.

I found this thread on bimmerpost with the same error code (48004A SZL interface *steering wheel vibration): Signal invalid), and the solution was to replace the motor.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showth...?t=2030429

Before replacing it (32337849416 MSPORT), I will check the wiring in case something is loose or broken, and I will also try powering the motor externally with low voltage while disconnected from the module.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I uninstalled the vibrator, and I was able to make it work with a 9-volt battery; it operates without any issues.

Then reconnected it to the module and initiated the LDW test from ISTA. I observed the vibrator rotating half a turn, and the LDW error was triggered.

On the other hand, I was able to activate the steering wheel heater via ISTA, and it heated up without any problems or errors, so I rule out any issues with the module being improperly powered or compatibility problems.

The vibrator and heater both work, but the vibrator only rotates half a turn. ISTA doesn't detect an error in the steering wheel module; it indicates a short circuit in the motor, but worked on four occasions the first time I installed the steering wheel and once during the test. I've checked the wires and measured them with a tester, and neither the motor nor the wires have a short circuit.

The module appears to have no burnt parts or suspicious components.

If it were the motor, it wouldn't function with the 9-volt battery as it does with strength and without any issues.

It's possible that the module detects that the motor's impedance doesn't meet the desired specifications and marks it as a short circuit because the impedance is lower than expected.

It's incredible that it costs $100 when the motor is the same one I used as a child when I opened my toys to experiment. But obviously, I won't be able to find the exact motor that matches the expected impedance. I could try to adapt it with a resistor if the motor has low impedance, but it's challenging because I don't know the actual impedance. Initially, it reads around 10 ohms, maybe it needs to be a bit higher...

So, I'll buy a new vibrator motor, and if it still doesn't work, I'll have no choice but to purchase a new module
Finally, I replaced the vibrator, and the LDW works perfectly. The ISTA test worked on the first try and on the road.

Conclusion: if the cables are fine and ISTA indicates an issue with the vibrating motor, you should take it seriously. In a workshop, they might not bother and would have replaced the entire steering wheel or the module along with the vibrator.